YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED
YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED
You frequently ask it. We answer it. If you have questions about dermal fillers, anti-wrinkle injections or the consultation itself, please check the FAQ page.
ANTI-WRINKLE INJECTIONS FAQS
Dermal fillers are smooth injectable gels used to restore or add volume to the face. Some dermal fillers can also be used for skin hydration.
Fillers vary in density (thickness) which determines which area they can be used in and helps achieve the desired result, whether that is to provide lift or contouring, create symmetry, or enhance a particular feature such as the lips.
Many dermal fillers contain a synthetic compound that mimics the properties of a naturally occurring sugar molecule. This particular molecule assists in skin firmness and smoothness, by providing a kind of supporting network for other important structural tissue components, at the same time drawing moisture to the area and holding onto it. Over time, our natural levels of this sugar diminish, which is where fillers can help – literally filling wrinkles and hollow areas from within.
You will see immediate results from dermal filler injections.
The effects of dermal fillers can last anywhere between 9 and 24 months, depending on what product has been used. Both the brand and the thickness will impact how long the filler lasts.
The type of dermal fillers that contain the synthetic sugar molecule are usually well tolerated, however, as with all medications, side effects can occur.
Your practitioner will discuss in detail what to expect from treatment, at your consultation. Reported most common side effects from dermal fillers include: injection site redness, pain, swelling, firmness, lumps and bumps, bruising, itching or discolouration. In the vast majority of cases, these effects are temporary and should resolve within a week.
If you’re ever unhappy with the results from your dermal fillers, your practitioner will discuss your options with you.
Along with following a detailed plan for subtle, balanced enhancement, you should also keep your expectations realistic.
Remember that you still want to look like ‘you’ - just a more refreshed version. Consider as well that there is a ‘wow’ factor that comes into play immediately after your first treatment. After a month or two of looking at your face each day in the mirror, this may wear off. It doesn’t mean that the treatments have worn off – it just means you’ve become used to your new look. Don’t be tempted to go back to your practitioner and ask for more at that point. Wait a few more months and follow the plan you have made with your chosen clinic.
To achieve a natural-looking result with dermal fillers and anti-wrinkle injections, the key is to follow a detailed treatment plan, created for the individual in conjunction with a skilled practitioner, which considers the face as a whole.
A personalised treatment plan can be gradual, with subtle improvements unfolding over a planned timeline that takes into account treatment aspirations as well as the normal ageing process. With natural-looking results, you will simply appear more relaxed, well rested and generally rejuvenated, as the products do their work to restore volume and fill or relax wrinkles and lines.
They don’t have to be. Your practitioner can tailor a treatment plan that fits your budget. Often, in order to create a subtle, gradual change, your planned treatments will be phased with several months in between anyway, which is a great help with budgeting.
With dermal fillers, there will be a slight stinging or discomfort at the site of the injection, but this typically lasts no longer than 30 seconds.
Many commonly used dermal fillers contain an anaesthetic, which helps to alleviate any discomfort associated with the procedure. With anti-wrinkle injections, the sensation is more like a series of short ‘pin pricks’, and usually no anaesthetic is necessary.
You may be focused on one particular area of your face, or you may just want to know more in general. Either way, your healthcare practitioner will take the time to evaluate your face to come up with a personalized treatment plan.
The consultation may start with them discussing your specific area of interest. Don’t be too surprised if they take a couple of photos to use as tools to point out your unique face structure and how a facial filler can be used for you. In addition, they may show you pictures of other patients (or you can ask to see some!) to get a better idea of real life results.
If you decide you want the procedure, your healthcare practitioner will come up with a tailored treatment plan just for you. They will walk you through the procedure to get the results you want, and if you are feeling ready, they may even give you your first treatment or will make sure you are booked in for the appropriate appointments.
Your appointment length will depend on your individual treatment plan and healthcare practitioner, although as a guide, they commonly last between 30 minutes to an hour. Your healthcare practitioner will start by reviewing your treatment plan and give you the ins and outs of what to expect that day. They will go over the number of injection points to show you how they will achieve the results you are after.
When you are ready, they will first sanitize your treatment areas in preparation for the injections. JUVÉDERM® facial fillers include the anesthetic lidocaine, which can help reduce discomfort you may feel during the procedure.
Each injection is short, lasting a few seconds, and the amount of JUVÉDERM® used will be dependent on your main treatment objective. The treatment technique will also vary depending on what you are looking to achieve. For example, they may be injecting an area of your face that isn’t necessarily your area of concern because the effect it will create will give you the results you want.
After each injection, your healthcare practitioner will massage the area to ensure that the JUVÉDERM® is placed properly and smoothed into your skin. You will be able to see your results instantly after the procedure. There may be some swelling and redness at the injection points, but most patients can return to their normal routine on the same day as their procedure, depending on the treatment received.
Your healthcare practitioner may want to schedule a follow-up appointment in a couple of weeks, just to check in and make sure you are happy with the results. It’s a great opportunity to make sure you are completely satisfied with your treatment or if you want a small touch-up to get the results you are after.
STEP 1: SET YOUR GOALS
- Identify the areas of your face or you looking to enhance or revitalize.
- Explore your facial revitalization options. JUVÉDERM® may be a good solution for the results you’re looking for.
- If you have friends or family who have had facial filler treatment, discussing their experiences could be a great start. You may also want to use a picture of your younger self as a guide or try our visualizer tool to see what JUVÉDERM® can do for you.
- JUVÉDERM® is the #1 doctor-recommended facial filler in Canada and worldwide. As a result, there are many qualified healthcare practitioners for you to choose from.
- Healthcare practitioners have varying medical backgrounds, such as dermatology (skin), plastic surgery and family medicine. Many practices also have specially-trained nurses on staff that can administer the treatment.
- It’s easy! Use our Clinic Locator tool to find a qualified healthcare practitioner near you. Book a no-commitment consultation to find out what they recommend to achieve your desired look.
- If you've been wondering about JUVÉDERM®, the only way to know if it is right for you is to have a conversation with an expert. Your healthcare practitioner will examine your unique facial structure and medical history to advise you on how to meet your goals.
- You may have the option to have your first treatment right after your consultation, or you can book your first treatment before you leave.
- Remember, a consultation doesn't mean commitment; it’s just the first step to learn more.
- Your healthcare practitioner will inject JUVÉDERM® under your skin with a fine needle to restore fullness and smooth away fine lines, wrinkles and folds.
- Following injection, the treated areas may be gently massaged by your healthcare practitioner.
- The facial filler procedure is quick and easy, generally taking 30 minutes to an hour (depending on the areas treated).
- Enjoy! You’ll still look like yourself, only with a natural-looking boost to your skin’s volume and vitality.
- Most people can resume normal activities immediately. Your healthcare practitioner will advise you on your aftercare. You may be advised to avoid a few things for a while, such as wearing makeup on the treated areas, extended periods in the sun, saunas, UV rays or very cold temperatures.
- Some people experience temporary injection-related reactions. Studies have shown that these are usually mild to moderate in nature and clear up on their own in 7 days or less. Be sure to discuss possible side effects with your healthcare practitioner.
- If you have any questions or concerns about your JUVÉDERM® treatment, please contact your healthcare practitioner.